If you are a carer or being cared for, please let us know and we will make sure this information is added to your medical record.
The GP Carer’s Break Scheme
In Surrey we have a GP Carer’s Breaks Scheme which allows GPs to prescribe carers a break worth up to £300, based on a clinical assessment of your health. The money can be used to purchase alternative care to allow you to have a break or to pay for goods or services that will help you to relax and improve your health and well-being. If your GP agrees that you would benefit from a break, they will apply for the grant on your behalf and you will be contacted by Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC), who administer the grant, to discuss your needs.
Surrey Independent Living Council
Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC) is a voluntary organisation led and run by disabled people. They believe that every disabled adult, child, older person and carer should be able to live independently with the same choices, opportunities and control over their lives as anyone else.
They have a specialist, approachable team offering a range of services to help you live independently, whether you receive support from the council, NHS or fund your own care.
Depending on your situation, they can assist with:
- Deciding whether a Direct Payment is the right option for you
- Helping you understand how Direct Payments work
- Helping you to recruit and employ care workers and Personal Assistants
- Training, including Support with Confidence
- Practical advice on staying safe and independent at home
- Providing an Assisted Finance Account to help you manage your finances
- Support with budgets, bank accounts and financial management
- Managing your Personal Health Budget or Education Direct Payment
They also provide the NHS Health Complaints Advocacy service in Surrey and also administer the GP Carer Break Scheme, including the carer prescriptions service, and are involved in joint ventures and national initiatives including Healthwatch Surrey.
SILC website: https://www.surreyilc.org.uk/home